Guest Blog By Laurie Drell Business Student, University of St. Thomas Houston Texas
Venezuela is a beautiful country with an amusing culture and spectacular landscapes. On today’s blog, you will travel to Venezuela and enjoy just a couple of things of what the country has to offer. And lucky for you, it’s completely free! We have a delicious and popular Venezuelan dessert recipe on the blog today along with a popular Venezuelan tourist attraction! You can also see some affordable Venezuelan jewelry that you can buy at Thinking Girls Boutique! How cool is that?
Want to have a taste of Venezuela? Try Besitos de Coco! They are delicious Venezuelan cookies that consist of half cookie & half flakes of coconut! They are similar to coconut macaroons and are known as "Coconut Kisses"!
· 2 2/3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
· 2/3 cups sugar
· ½ cup all-purpose flour
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· ¼ teaspoon fine salt
· 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
· 4 large egg yolks
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil. In a large bowl combine coconut, sugar, flour, vanilla and salt. Whisk until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
2. Melt butter and whisk into the coconut mixture. Lightly whisk egg yolks and add to dry coconut mixture.
3. Using your hands, mix until a dough forms.
4. Scoop, using a tablespoon, then press dough between palms and form balls.
5. Place balls on prepared baking sheet and bake until cookies are golden and crisp on the edges, 20 to 25 minutes.
6. Transfer besitos to a cooling rack. Cool completely before serving.
Have wanderlust or a travel bug? Go to Angel Falls! Angel Falls is located in the Auyantepui mountain in the Canaima National Park in the Gran Sabana region of Bolivar state in Venezuela! It is the world’s largest uninterrupted waterfall, beating Niagara Falls by a long shot. The best time to go is during June to December where river trips are popular. Interesting fact? Angel Falls inspired the setting of Paradise Falls in the popular Pixar movie, Up.
Here is some of the beautiful Venezuelan jewelry you can purchase at Thinking Girls Boutique & Studio!